After school activities for Middle School that might be an option for you.
The school itself has several after school activities. Clubs are coming and will be announced after school has started and the dates have been fixed.
1. Through the school:
. HOMEWORK GROUP
. M.O.R.E. PROGRAM
. HEART AND SOUL 'GIRLS ON THE RUN'
2. Toastmasters Club: CLOSED program is full
Toastmasters club at Hallie Wells is starting in January. For those of you who have never
heard of this group – Toastmasters is a public speaking group in which the members
give a total of ten speeches, for which feedback is given and improvement can be
made. This is a great opportunity for the kids to overcome their fear of speaking in
public. The class is organized with a formal workbook and roles for all the kids during
the meeting. All the kids will be busy each meeting. As a result the class can only
accept 10 students. Our first class is scheduled for Monday evenings and will run every other week- details
below. We will add a second class if there is enough interest
Class will be held each Monday evening from 7:30 – 9:00 at HWMS starting on Monday,
The class will run every 2 weeks – for a total of 10 classes and 10 speaking projects
that each student will complete.
$140/pp which includes the registration fee, tuition fee, ToastMasters book/brochure,
award certificate and rental fee.
Other programs: NOT SPONSORED BY THE PTSA
1. The Diversity office is happy to announce the dates for this year’s middle school summer program. The Science, Service, Mentoring, and Medicine (S2M2) Jr. program is for students interested in (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math and Medicine). The program is opened to all students that are rising 7th, 8th and 9th graders in 2018-2019 school year. I have attached the flyer and the link to the webpage with more information and the application. Please feel free to share this information and please contact me if you have any questions.
2. The Germantown Boys and Girls Club is having their 2017-2018 school year after school open enrollment. If Hallie Wells get at least 10 families to sign up for aftercare services, they will provide a bus from Hallie Wells to their site FREE of charge daily. If you have any questions please contact them.
3. Best Brains: Best Brains, Clarksburg is an after school enrichment program in the area will be at Wells Welcome and Back-to-School Night. I believe if students are enrolled, they may take Bus 2605 (confirmation pending with Transportation Office by Dr. Woodward). The Director is Ram Jasti and can be reached at 301-679-0000 for more information.
4. Hoops and Homework: Beginning their 4th year of serving students (Grades 2 - 8) from the Germantown, Gaithersburg and Clarksburg school clusters at the Salvation Army community center in Germantown. Registration is ongoing throughout the school year - online registration form. They appear to have bussing as well.
5. Saturday School at NIST, Urbana, Lockheed, and NIH. $75 registration. 8 years old and up. http://www.adventureinscience.org/about-us
If you are interested in Adventure in Science, read the “About Us” section at www.adventureinscience.org. Then, if you want to volunteer, think about possible topics you might teach and send your contact information to Ed Max (email@example.com). Enrollment for children is completed for this year, but will be open for 2018-2019 next spring, as announced at www.adventureinscience.org/ais-registration. The fee is $75.00 for the first child and $50.00 for each additional child in the same family. There is a Parents' Orientation in September, which all first-time parents need to attend. The location and time will be provided upon acceptance into the program
6. Summer Camps for middle schoolers (not an exhaustive list)
Johns Hopkins University Tech Camps
Joint Science and Technology Institutes
KidSpired LLC will be running in Hallie Wells during the summer (not confirmed)
Maryland Kids Robotics, Engineering, and Game Play Camps
Montgomery College Summer Camps: some are designated as "girls only"
Montgomery County Summer Camps: very cost effective and they fill up fast. Some are surprisingly good, including the Leadership Program with SSL hours
Blackrock has courses to become summer art counselors for 14 and up. With SSL hours.